Four and a Half Weeks Early, Two Hospitals, a C-section and a NICU Later…

June 4th was downright the most terrifying day of my life, and it earned that title when the day was only 32 minutes old.

As of three weeks ago, our pregnancy was going about as close to perfect as possible. No big issues, my wife was feeling great, and we were nothing but sunshine and roses about meeting our beautiful baby girl. Then, we went in for one of our prenatal appointments to learn that my wife’s blood pressure was getting pretty high. We were pretty scared. Not knowing if our little angel was at risk and not knowing what was going to happen, our OB sent us across the street to the hospital for some lab work and monitoring to see what was going on.

The next 5 days, from Wednesday 5/28 to Monday 6/2, were ridiculously hectic. Because of crazy high blood pressure (like in the 160 / 100 range) and terrible headaches, my wife landed herself in the hospital every day for those five days. Come monday 6/2, when we went to our scheduled OB appointment, we took a blood pressure reading of 179 / 110. Yikes.  We went across the street for more monitoring, like we had done the previous five days, but something was different this time. My wife and I both just seemed to know that this was going to be it, that we were going to be inducing that evening.

When we checked into the hospital, our OB confirmed our thoughts. She determined the best course of action for the safety of our baby and my wife was to induce labor and see if we could get our little princess to arrive with a natural birth.

My mind was running laps on itself, and I was getting lost and confused by my own thoughts.

“It’s too early. She’s just too early. She’s going to be so little! What if she is underdeveloped? What if something goes wrong?” But a funny thing happens in that situation – you get out of your own way and make the most rational decision you can for the safety of those that you love. To protect my wife and my daughter, inducing at 34 1/2 weeks was the best thing to do.

30 hours of pre-labor and labor later, and only at 5 cm dilated, things weren’t progressing and our daughter stopped moving. When she stopped kicking and her heart rate stopped fluctuating, our OB brought to our attention two options – upping the dosage of Pitocin and waiting an hour or so to see if she responded, or electing for a C-section to get her out safely. Without hesitation we elected for the C-section. “Get our daughter here safely.”

I was struck with fear as we wheeled down to the Operating Room, my wife going under the knife and my daughter about to arrive. “God, please deliver them both safely through this. Let them both be safe. Please, let my girls be safe…”

I sat at my wife’s head, holding her hand as they pulled our baby out. Everything seemed to be going well, until my wife started saying she could feel more than she thought she should be able to. Her pain became excruciating, my world began to spin as I tried to sooth her while simultaneously watching the nursing staff struggle to get our daughter to breathe. I didn’t know what to do. All I could muster was a simple “please….” I felt completely and utterly helpless, short of breath, and my heart cried for God’s grace and comfort.

My wife’s screams of agony and pain rang through to my very core, piercing my heart, while my struggling baby’s hand wrapped tightly around my finger. “This is your baby… your daughter…your angel…” my inner voice whispered to me. Thirty minutes of   C-PAP later, they made the choice to transfer our baby to Randal’s Children’s Hospital. Her lungs weren’t mature enough yet to sustain themselves. Completely overwhelmed I broke into sobs, being forced to decide between staying with my baby daughter or clinging to my wife’s side. Torn completely in half, one half of my heart on the operating room table and the other half in an incubator on it’s way out the door, I followed my daughter.

As I left the operating room, I saw my dad, and briefly buried my head into his chest. I needed my daddy. I needed that support that had been there all my life. I needed a brief shot of strength, and for him to tell me it would be okay. And he did.

I kissed my wife, told her how much I loved her, that I was going to ride with our daughter and make sure she was okay, and that I would see her soon. She was transferred four hours later to the hospital where our baby was being moved to.

Sweet baby Olivia was on C-PAP for the first four days of her life, but I am overjoyed and thrilled to say that she is off C-PAP, her lungs are operating perfectly well, and she is going to be just fine. It has been the most emotionally taxing, tiring, stressful week of my life, and I know I can say the same thing for my wife. But looking at our little angel, seeing this beautiful little being, feeling the overwhelming and incomparably deep amount of love I have for this girl in the furthest depths of my heart, makes it all worth it. Sweet Olivia is still in NICU, but will be coming home as soon as she is able to fully eat on her own.

My heart overflows with praise to God for what he has done, and for bringing us this beautiful little girl. Was the way she was delivered our plan? Absolutely not. It was terrifying and downright awful and I would never have chosen for things to go this way. But the beautiful thing about God, our loving father, is that His plan is always perfect. I’m not always going to understand His plan, but I absolutely trust that His plan is good, in all things. This situation, these last two weeks, have been for our good. They have helped us grow, and trust, and take responsibility. And in the end, we have a stunning, sweet little bundle of love that we could not possibly adore any more.

1 Peter 1:7 – “so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ”


My beautiful girl.

My beautiful girl.


12 thoughts on “Four and a Half Weeks Early, Two Hospitals, a C-section and a NICU Later…

  1. adequatedad says:

    Thank you for sharing this with us. What modern medical science is able to do for premies this day and age is nothing short of remarkable. I wish the best to you, your wife, and little Olivia.

  2. Venis Fielder says:

    Jon, okay I am speechless. You and Ashley are amazing and I look forward to hearing all of the milestones to come with your little Angel. I love you!!!!!

  3. wifeandmotherinoneday says:

    Oh this brought me to tears! I was wondering how you guys were doing- didn’t expect this..but VERY happy to see all are ok. Prayers being said for your wife as she recovers and your precious little girl as she continues to grow and for you- as you settle into your new role as Daddy 🙂 CONGRATULATIONS!!

    • jcw0623 says:

      Yes, everything is going to be okay! It was definitely a surprise – a very difficult surprise – but my beautiful little girl is going to be just fine. Mommy is recovering too; her C-section was not a good one. Thanks for thining of us! Huh…. “Daddy.” I think I can get used to this job title. Tiring, but there has never been anything I’ve cared about more than being the best husband and father I can be. I hope you are doing well! I’ve been MIA through this whole process but I’ll catch up on your posts here shortly. 🙂 -Jon

      • wifeandmotherinoneday says:

        I was telling my husband the story of how your daughter arrived- and then said how silly I feel for complaining about some minor discomforts of pregnancy…certainly put some things into perspective for me. Seeing what I complain about as you catch up on my posts will prob make you cringe considering what you all went through! Excited to see more updates as you all settle into life as a family- God bless you guys in EVERY way!

  4. lilkrys says:

    Wow, what an emotional rollercoaster your little family has been through and just reading your blog I felt like I was living in the moment. You wrote it so perfectly, I felt your heartache.
    I am so happy and relieved to hear baby Olivia is here and doing well. Congratulations! I wish her and your wife a quick recovery and lots of rest. Hope they are both feeling better today. ❤

  5. newlymama27 says:

    Honestly, that sound almost like my story of this last week with my son. On June second I had an appt with my OB. I saw a specialist due to some concerns but this was just a routine appt. He did an ultrasound and said that we need to go down and be induced. Not a big deal. About 3.5 weeks early but that was okay. We got down there got settled. Called my mother in law and my grandma and then they put me on the monitor and couldn’t find my babies heartbeat. I was rushed into the OR with no idea of what was going on and they put me to sleep and six minutes later my son was born. He is still in the NICU for eating issues. I am praying for you guys. Good luck with your little girl and god bless.

  6. Jonathan says:

    Wow, sounds like you and your wife went through a bit of an ordeal there! It brought back some memories for me as my wife and I’s son was born last year after over 60 hours of labour and pre-labour, attempted natural delivery, attempted forceps delivery and finally an emergency C-section. It was a really draining experience but thankfully mother and baby were both fine after it all. I don’t know how I’d have coped with what you and your wife had to go deal with. I am really glad to hear that it sound like things turned out well in the end.

  7. lindsayngordon says:

    My birth story started out the same: high blood pressure leading to inducing, but my little boy was only a week early. I can only imagine the thoughts that flooded through both of your minds because I know what was going through mine and my husband’s. Praying for the health of your wife and baby girl. Enjoy everyday. She will change almost every minute.

    • jcw0623 says:

      Thank you so much for the prayers! It’s definitely quite a journey. It was scary at first, but we’re all home and I love my little girl more than anything in the world. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s